Advanced Purchase Anytime Bed and Breakfast
Anytime Bed and Breakfast
Abbey House is a stately home with more than 100 years of history – and a stunning four-star hotel close to the Lake District. The hotel is set among 14 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds, offering a peaceful countryside location that’s ideal for romantic breaks and weekend getaways.
The building’s historical features are well balanced with more modern touches of design, with a bold mix of old and new reflected in the furnishings and décor. The result is a stylish boutique hotel feel – and comfortable setting for your break.
The setting on the Furness peninsula offers a wealth of opportunities for different activities. The town of Barrow-in-Furness offers a rich shipbuilding heritage, reflected in the excellent local museum. There’s plenty of history to explore nearby too – you can take a short walk to the ruined abbey near the hotel or you could hop on a ferry across to the tiny Piel Island, to visit the ancient castle and the charming pub (the only two buildings on the island).
The area is known as being where the Lakes meet the sea, as there’s little between the wonderful coastline and the ever-popular Lake District. As such, it’s an ideal spot for outdoor breaks, walking holidays and birdwatchers. The peninsula is surrounded by beaches and mudflats brimming with wildlife, while the Lake District is just to the north – with the popular town of Windermere less than 25 miles away. Of course, the Lakes provide one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations, in an area packed with exceptional natural beauty and dotted with charming communities.
Whether you’re visiting the area for the landscape, the local heritage or simply to escape everyday stresses, the Abbey House Hotel provides a perfect setting for a relaxing stay. At the end of a busy day, you can take it easy in the chic and sophisticated surroundings of the AA Rosette standard restaurant, before retiring to one of the tastefully decorated guest rooms.
Where is the Abbey House Hotel?
The Abbey House Hotel is on Abbey Road, which runs between Barrow-in-Furness and Dalton-in-Furness – close to the main road into the Furness peninsula, the A590. Barrow’s railway station is a five-minute drive from the hotel, while the airports in both Manchester and Liverpool are around a two-hour drive.
What’s worth visiting in Barrow-in-Furness?
- Dock Museum – Housed in a former dry-dock, the museum delves into Barrow’s shipbuilding past, with a huge collection of models of ships and submarines, amongst many other exhibits.
- Walney Island – With two nature reserves on the island, covering almost 800 hectares, the island is a haven for birdwatchers and naturalists.
- Furness Abbey – The ruined abbey just outside Barrow-in-Furness was once one of the richest and most powerful Cistercian monasteries in the country, and today offers a fascinating glimpse into the past.
- South Lakes Safari Zoo – Go wild at this magnificent family-friendly attraction, which is home to more than 1,000 animals, including many of the world’s most critically endangered species.
- Islands of Barrow Walking Festival: July – This month-long programme of group walks makes the most of the wonderful islands, exploring the landscape, the local wildlife and the heritage.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
Oscar’s Restaurant offers an AA Rosette standard dining experience in a stylish environment, with the traditional original features lifted by sophisticated, contemporary décor and furnishings. The result is a chic, but comfortable area that’s ideal for celebratory meals, classic afternoon teas or sophisticated cocktails. The main menu provides the same blend of old and new, with some classic British dishes given a fresh, modern twist – while there’s an excellent selection of beers, wines and spirits behind the bar.
Breakfast: 6.45am – 10am (Brunch served until 12noon)
Lunch/Dinner: 12noon – 10pm
Features at a glance
- Four-star hotel near the Lake District
- Stunning and historic building
- Bold and engaging boutique-style interiors
- Deluxe rooms and suites available
- Wonderful location just south of Lake District
- A few minutes’ drive from central Barrow
- AA Rosette standard Oscars Restaurant
- 24-hour room service menu
- Free guest parking
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 3pm, check out by 11am.
- For family bookings (triple rooms), please get in touch to confirm details and book.
- To contact easy-breaks.com call 08430 55 44 33 or email email@example.com
“In any location, the Abbey House Hotel would be an excellent and attractive four-star hotel. Yet with a pleasant countryside setting just south of the Lake District, it’s so much more – offering a fantastic setting for romantic breaks and outdoor holidays in one of the most beautiful parts of England. With an AA Rosette restaurant, landscaped grounds and a style that fits modern design into a historical setting, it’s an excellent hotel for your break.”