Wine and Dine
A bottle of wine on the first evening
Breakfast & Dinner
Dinner, Bed and Breakfast
Breakfast & Dinner
Afternoon Tea Break
The Best Western Shap Wells Hotel offers a peaceful retreat from everyday living, with a superb setting in the Eden District. Within the hotel, you’ll find traditional but smart décor and design, with comfortable accommodation and stylish public areas. Outside, you’ll find beautifully tranquil surroundings, set amongst bubbling mountain streams, lush green valleys and impressive fells. For anyone looking for a quiet getaway, it’s an ideal hotel for short weekend breaks and holidays in Cumbria.
While its location feels a million miles from the daily grind, the hotel is much more accessible than it first seems – with the M6 just a few minutes’ drive away. That means it only takes a matter of minutes to get out and explore the region, whether heading north to Penrith, south to Kendal or visiting the beautiful Lake District.
Ullswater is within a short drive from the hotel, while Windermere is well within reach. As such, there are charming communities to explore, from Pooley Bridge to Ambleside and the ever-popular Bowness on Windermere, where you’ll find a variety of tearooms, gift shops and local attractions. If you’re looking for something more active it’s an ideal area for walking breaks and climbing holidays, with miles of trails and some of the country’s highest peaks to conquer.
But you don’t need to go far to enjoy the great outdoors. The hotel is set among the Cumbrian Fells, close to the coast-to-coast path, while there’s even a red squirrel colony on the grounds, waiting to be explored.
At the end of a busy day, the hotel’s traditional interiors offer everything you need to unwind, whether tucking into some home-cooked Cumbrian food in the restaurant, sinking into one of the plush leather armchairs in the bar, or simply relaxing in the comfort of a spacious, well-appointed guest room.
Where is the Shap Wells Hotel?
Shap, Penrith, Cumbria, CA10 3QU
The Shap Wells Hotel is on the B6261, around 15 miles south of Penrith. Both the A6 and the M6 – at junction 39 – are a short drive away. The nearest railway station is in Penrith, while the closest airport is in Newcastle, around 85 miles away (although it would be a similar journey time to Manchester Airport).
What’s worth visiting in the Eden District?
- Go for a walk – The nearby Lake District is one of the country’s most popular settings for walking holidays, with thousands of miles of paths and trails offering everything from challenging climbs to gentle strolls.
- Steaming – Ullswater provides the picturesque setting for a variety of traditional boats, which offer ferry routes and tours across the water – a gentle and good-looking way of seeing the best of the district.
- Shap Abbey – Explore the eerie ruins of this 12th century abbey, which have stood empty and almost untouched for hundreds of years in a beautiful and remote location.
- Kendal Torchlight Carnival: September – The community of Kendal hits the streets, with a great fire-lit parade featuring floats and street performers.
- Mayday Carnival: May – Celebrating the onset of summer, Penrith welcomes a grand parade led by a military band with a host of events, stalls and a funfair.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
The hotel offers a formal, but comfortable setting for meals, with two different dining areas – the Birkbeck Restaurant, which is an open and bright area that boasts lovely views across the surrounding countryside, and the Lonsdale Room, which is a little more cosy and intimate. On the menu, you’ll find a good selection of classic, home-cooked British cuisine, together with an excellent wine list.
The Riverside Bar & Lounge offers a relaxed and informal environment, with an art deco style and traditional features – the perfect setting to sit back and enjoy a snack during the day or a drink in the evening.
Breakfast: 7.30am – 9.30am
Lunch: 12noon – 2pm
Dinner: 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Features at a glance
- Traditional hotel in Cumbria
- Tranquil setting near the Lake District
- Located close to the M6 and A6
- 96 well-proportioned guest rooms
- Family-friendly room available
- Close to Penrith
- Red Squirrel colony on site
- Classically styled Birkbeck Restaurant
- Stylish art deco Riverside Bar
- Two cosy guest lounges
- Free guest parking
- Free Wi-Fi
- Dog-friendly hotel
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 3pm, check out by 11am.
- Please contact us to check details and availability of accessible guest rooms.
- To book family rooms, please get in touch with our customer service team.
- Dogs are welcome at the hotel, charged at £10 per night.
- To contact easy-breaks.com call 08430 55 44 33 or email email@example.com
“The Best Western Shap Wells Hotel is not a small establishment, yet it’s well tucked away in a tranquil spot in the Eden District on the eastern edge of the ever-popular Lake District. While it's remote, the M6 and A6 are actually very close by, so you can get out and about without any trouble. Then again, if you just want to get away from it all, you could just sit back in one of the comfy lounges and enjoy the peace and quiet.”