Amba Hotel Charing Cross is a fantastic four-star hotel in the heart of London, offering a mix of old-fashioned grandeur and modern convenience. The hotel couldn’t have a better location for London city breaks, as it is situated on the Strand, just a few metres from Trafalgar Square.
The hotel is a Grade II listed building, and a former station hotel that harks back to the golden age of rail travel in the Victorian era. Yet the grand exterior and classic period features and details are well balanced with stylish furnishings and modern conveniences like Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations in the rooms. The balance continues into the Brasserie at Charing Cross, where you’ll find a light, elegant environment, together with a menu full of modern takes on classic cuisine, while Eleanor’s Cocktail Bar provides a chic but relaxing setting for drinks.
With a fantastic central location, the hotel is perfect for London sightseeing breaks. As well as the world-famous Trafalgar Square, you’ll also find Downing Street, Westminster and Leicester Square all within a few minutes’ walk of the hotel. It’s an ideal base for theatre breaks too, with theatreland – the area around the West End and Soho – a short distance from Charing Cross.
For couples looking for romantic weekend breaks and for families looking for sightseeing holidays, this is among the best four-star hotels in central London.
Where is Charing Cross?
Amba Hotel Charing Cross in central London is on the Strand, just a few steps from Trafalgar Square. It is next to Charing Cross mainline railway station (not that you will hear it once inside the hotel), while Charing Cross tube station is next door and Embankment tube station is around 100 metres away. If you are arriving by car, you can use the Charing Cross Station access road, to stop off at the hotel to drop off bags and check-in, while parking is available at the Spring Gardens car park – across Whitehall (approximately £30 per 24 hours).
What’s worth visiting in London?
- Carnaby Street – Made famous in the swinging 60s, today the shopping street offers a mix of funky fashion, unique style and interesting eateries.
- National Gallery – On Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery is home to a captivating collection of masterpieces by some of the biggest names in art, form Rembrandt and Renoir to Van Gogh and da Vinci.
- Theatreland – The West End is famous for its many amazing theatres, with a wide range of shows on every night, from grand musicals to experimental plays.
- The London Eye – Take in one of the best views of London imaginable with a ride on this 443-foot Ferris wheel (especially great at night).
- Tower of London – a castle on the banks of the Thames, this is a must-see attraction that is home to the Beefeaters, the ravens and the astounding Crown Jewels.
What is there to do at the hotel?
The hotel has a well-equipped gym suite that includes the latest cardio fitness and weights machines.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
The Brasserie at Amba Hotel Charing Cross is the hotel’s main restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. It not only offers a delicious selection of European and classic British dishes – but also provides a wonderful view across to Trafalgar Square through its generous floor-to-ceiling windows. It’s perfect whether you’re looking for a romantic meal in elegant surroundings, or a quick pre-theatre dinner before you head off to the nearby West End.
The executive lounge is open throughout the day to offer drinks, snacks and a quiet spot for breakfast or a sumptuous and indulgent afternoon tea, while Eleanor’s Cocktail Lounge serves a wide range of sophisticated cocktails in an equally sophisticated atmosphere.
Breakfast is served from 6.30am – 10.30am Monday to Friday and 7am – 11am on Saturday & Sunday.
Lunch is available from 12pm – 2.30pm on Monday to Sunday.
Afternoon tea is served from 2pm – 5pm on Monday to Sunday.
Dinner is served from 5.30pm – 10pm on Monday to Sunday.
Features at a glance
- Four-star hotel in central London
- Ideal for sightseeing, city breaks and theatre breaks
- Two minutes’ from Trafalgar Square
- Well proportioned, comfortable rooms
- Deluxe rooms and junior suites available
- Air conditioning in all rooms
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Flat screen LCD televisions with freeview
- Many rooms feature iPod docking stations
- Grade II listed building
- Elegant Brasserie with views over the Strand
- Refined Cocktail bar
- 24 hour room service
- Well-equipped modern fitness centre
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 3pm. Check out by 12 noon.
- There are two disabled access deluxe rooms at the hotel – please call or email us to check details and availability.
- For family visits, Junior Suites have sofa-beds – please call or email us to check details. availability and any possible family short break deals.
- Pets are not permitted at the hotel.
London is packed full of hotels, but this one really stands out. As well as having a brilliant central location near Trafalgar Square, it has a real old-fashioned grandeur and a lovely restaurant. There are some great deals to be found over the winter months, making Charing Cross an ideal place for a luxury Christmas shopping break.