The Royal Horseguards is simply one of the finest five-star hotels in London. The AA London hotel of the year for 2010, everything at the hotel is first class, from the sumptuous rooms to the fine dining restaurant and cocktail bar. As the wartime home of the secret service, it even has a better standard of history. Today, it is a Grade I listed building, refurbished and restored to its full Victorian grandeur – and an opulent setting for luxury weekend breaks in London.
It is a famous landmark in its own right, overlooking the Thames from the Embankment – a location that means that London’s best and most popular attractions are within a short stroll from the hotel’s front door. The London Eye is just over the river, Trafalgar Square is a minute’s walk, the theatres of the West End are within easy reach and the Houses of Parliament are a few hundred metres away. In short, this is a fantastic location for exploring London, whether you’re visiting to see the sights, to see a show at the Theatre or to enjoy one of the best shopping destinations in Europe.
Within the hotel, there is a perfect blend of old and new, with the character and elegance of the building brought to life with modern touches of exclusive comfort and contemporary design. The five-star standard goes well beyond furnishings and decoration, too, with the kind of dedication to service that makes this an award-winning destination hotel.
Where is the Royal Horseguards?
2 Whitehall Court
The Royal Horseguards hotel is in the very heart of Central London, just off Northumberland Avenue between Victoria Embankment and Trafalgar Square. If you’re travelling by car, the nearest parking facility is on Spring Gardens, around 200 metres away. The hotel is just a few metres away from the nearest tube stations, at Embankment (District and Circle lines) or Charing Cross (Bakerloo and Northern Lines), as well as Charing Cross mainline station. If you are flying into London, there are express rail services into the city centre, where you can get a connection via mainline or underground services.
What’s worth visiting in London?
- Go to the theatre – The West End is famous for its many amazing theatres, with a wide range of shows on every night, from grand musicals to experimental plays.
- London Zoo – The world’s oldest scientific zoo first opened in the 19th century and today boasting over 15,000 animals.
- The London Eye – Take in one of the best views of London imaginable with a ride on this 443-foot Ferris wheel (especially great at night).
- Trafalgar Square – One of the world’s most famous landmarks sits just a couple of minutes away from the hotel, with Admiral Nelson overlooking from the massive column and the huge stone lions at each corner.
- Boat Tour – There are several different companies offering a unique view of the nation’s capital city, with a boat trip along the Thames.
What is there to do at the hotel?
The hotel has a well-appointed gym facility, with a good range of cardiovascular machines and weights – and if you need some professional motivation, you can book a session with the hotel’s personal trainer.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
One Twenty One Two is the hotel’s restaurant, named after the neighbouring Scotland Yard’s famous telephone number. With two AA Rosettes to its name, the restaurant offers fine dining at its best – with a menu that offers a classic cuisine created from fantastic British seasonal ingredients, served in refined and elegant surroundings.
The Equus Bar is a sophisticated cocktail bar, with stunning design to match an excellent selection of cocktails, wines and champagnes. The Lounge is just off the main reception area, and offers a comfortable and light space for drinks, snacks and an extravagant afternoon tea, while the Terrace provides a quiet spot for al fresco dining or a relaxing setting for a drink with a view over the London skyline.
Features at a glance
- Luxury 5-star hotel in central London
- 282 luxurious rooms and suites
- Many rooms with view of the Thames and London Eye
- Climate control in every room
- Room safe for personal valuables
- Flat screen television with freeview
- Some rooms feature TV in bathrooms
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout
- Exceptional 2 AA Rosette Restaurant
- Chic cocktail bar
- Elegant Lounge ideal for afternoon tea
- Outdoor terrace with views of London Eye
- Room service available 24 hours
- Fully equipped gym, with personal trainer
- 24 hour concierge
- Limousine service available
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 3pm. Check out by 12 noon.
- The hotel has some rooms equipped for accessibility – please call or email us to check details and availability.
- For family rooms or suites – please call or email us to check details, availability and any possible family package deals.
- Guide dogs are welcome (prior notice is preferred), but pets are not permitted.
Hotels of this standard are few and far between. It doesn't just offer all the incredible luxury that comes with a five-star rating, but it’s also right in the heart of London, with some of the world’s best tourist attractions on the doorstep. With some great hotel deals throughout the winter months, this is a wonderful setting for a Christmas shopping break.