Dinner, Bed and Breakfast Break
Breakfast & Dinner
Dinner, Bed and Breakfast
Breakfast & Dinner
Anytime Bed and Breakfast
Anytime Dinner Bed and Breakfast
Breakfast & Dinner
Gretna Hall was a manor house built in the 18th century, transformed into a comfortable hotel with an excellent location for romantic weekends, leisure breaks and short family holidays. While the hotel has been updated with facilities and a new wing of additional guest accommodation, the hall retains much of its historic character and many original features. 10 acres of grounds give it a countryside feel, yet the village of Gretna Green is just a few minutes’ walk, Gretna town centre is less than a mile away and junction 22 of the A74 (M) is a moment’s drive from the hotel.
The nearby village of Gretna Green was renowned as the first stop in Scotland for coaches making their way north from London, and became a popular destination for young couples coming north to get married under Scottish law. Today, the village remains the wedding capital of Britain and the Famous Blacksmiths Shop is one of the area’s most popular visitor’s attractions, with an exhibition detailing its history, a restaurant and boutique style shopping centre. For those looking for a bargain, you could also head along the road to Gretna’s designer outlet village, which offers a great place to find some retail therapy.
Being close to the border between Scotland and England, the hotel also offers an ideal base for exploring the area – with Dumfries & Galloway to the north and east, and Cumbria to the South. As such, you can choose to take in the sights at Carlisle, celebrate Robert Burns in Dumfries or discover history at Hadrian’s Wall. It’s all within easy driving distance of the Gretna Hall Hotel.
At the end of the day, you can enjoy some fine Scottish cuisine in the hotel’s restaurant or relax with a drink in the comfort of the bar and lounge. Whether staying in the old hall or the more modern wing, you’ll find the accommodation and facilities at the hotel comfy and well appointed – the perfect place to unwind after a busy day.
Where is the Gretna Hall Hotel?
Gretna Green, Gretna, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, DG16 5DY
Gretna Hall is off the B7076 between the village of Gretna Green and the town of Gretna, close to where the A75 and A74 (M) meet – at junction 22. Gretna Green railway station is just a couple of minutes’ walk from the front door and offers services to Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle.
What’s worth visiting in Gretna?
- Devil’s Porridge Museum – This fascinating museum offers an insight into the armaments factory that once stood in Gretna, serving as a reminder of the horrors of WW1.
- Gretna Gateway Outlet Village – Ideal for an afternoon’s retail therapy, this excellent collection of outlet shops has lots of bargains in store for the determined shopper.
- Westlands Activity Centre – With a range of outdoor activities, from quad biking to paintball, this centre has something for the whole family.
- Dumfries & Galloway Arts Festival: May – Based around Dumfries, this is a ten-day festival that brings together a mix of drama, music, comedy and art, with performers from across the country.
- Hadrian’s Wall – This ancient roman fortification was built to separate the empire ‘from the barbarians’. Today the remains stretch for around 80 miles, with many site offering a fascinating archaeological attraction.
- Carlisle Castle – Built during the reign of William the Conqueror’s son, this castle is more than 900 years old and today is home to an engaging visitor’s attraction.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
The hotel’s Anvil Restaurant has an elegant, traditional dining area that offers a relaxed but refined atmosphere for fine dining. With a choice of table d’hôte and a la carte menus, the restaurant offers a truly traditional take on British and European cuisine, coupled with an extensive wine list to ensure that there’s a bottle to complement your meal.
For a more casual dining experience, the comfortable bar and lounge offers a menu of comforting bar meals and light bites throughout the day and into the evening, as well as indulgent cream teas and afternoon teas – not to mention a wide range of beers, wines and spirits.
Breakfast: 7am – 10am (from 8am Sundays)
Lunch: 12noon – 2pm
Dinner: 6pm – 9.30pm
Features at a glance
- Traditional Scottish hotel
- Former 18th century manor house
- Close to Scottish-English border
- 100 comfortable guest rooms
- Mixture of traditional and contemporary accommodation
- Well situated for visiting Gretna Green
- Ideal for romantic breaks and weekends
- Close to Gretna Gateway Outlet Village
- Traditional fine dining restaurant
- Cosy Lounge Bar
- Ample free guest parking
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 3pm, check out by 11am.
- To book family rooms or suites, please get in touch with our booking team.
- Dogs are not permitted at the hotel.
- To contact easy-breaks.com call 08430 55 44 33 or email email@example.com
“Gretna may have built its reputation as a wedding destination, but there’s more to the town and the area than marriage – with both Dumfries and Galloway and Cumbria close by and well worth exploring. The Gretna Hall hotel offers the perfect spot for seeing it all. It’s an historic building in its own right, while the local history and culture of the Famous Blacksmiths Shop is just a short stroll from the hotel. Whether it’s for a romantic breaks or long weekends, the Gretna Hall Hotel is packed with character, making it an ideal setting for your visit.”