Dinner, Bed and Breakfast
Breakfast & Dinner
Simply Bed and Breakfast
Dinner On One Night
Breakfast and dinner on the first evening
Advance Purchase Break
Anytime Bed and Breakfast
Scotland’s capital is a bustling and busy city that welcomes thousands of visitors every year – whether for one of Europe’s biggest arts festivals, for the wealth of heritage and history or for the fantastic selection of shops. If you’re looking for a base to see all that and more, the Thistle Edinburgh, The King James, is one of the best hotels in Edinburgh.
One of the most conveniently located hotels in central Edinburgh, The King James is part of the same building as one of the city’s most popular shopping centres, called the St James Centre. As such, you’ll find a great range of stores to explore literally on the doorstep. Yet that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The hotel is just a minute’s walk from the east end of Princes Street, Edinburgh’s biggest shopping street, while the upmarket boutiques of Multrees Walk and George Street are also just a quick walk away. In short, the hotel offers the ideal base for some serious retail therapy.
With such an excellent spot in the heart of the city, it’s also ideal if you’re looking to explore the many cultural and historical attractions. From art galleries and museums to theatres and parks – not to mention the famed castle – there is a huge array of things to see and do within walking distance. There’s plenty of nightlife on offer, too, with a wide range of bars, restaurants and nightclubs nearby. If you’re looking to go further afield, perhaps to the zoo or to see the royal yacht Britannia, most of the major bus routes run past the hotel – while the train station is just a couple of hundred metres away, if you want to explore other areas of Scotland.
Within the hotel itself, the style is modern but warm and welcoming. The guest rooms are well appointed and offer a smart and comfortable haven from the hustle and bustle of the city, while the restaurant and bar both provide a relaxed atmosphere for enjoying some great Scottish food and drink.
Where is the Thistle Edinburgh?
107 Leith Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 3SW
The Thistle Edinburgh, The King James, is on Leith Street (the A900), which is off the eastern end of Princess Street in Edinburgh city centre. Waverly Station, the city’s main railway station, is very close to the hotel, within just a few minutes’ walk. The airport is a few miles to the west of the city and is easily accessible by bus or tram (with the nearest stops within easy walking distance).
What’s worth visiting in Edinburgh?
- Playhouse Theatre – One of the most popular theatres in the city, just a few moments from the hotel, this is home to the biggest and glitziest productions and shows.
- Edinburgh Festival: August – The city’s population swells during the festival season, with a wide range of performances, exhibitions and events drawing huge numbers of visitors – not only for the comedy, drama and dance of the Edinburgh Fringe but also for the other festivals, including film (June), jazz (July), science (April), book (August) and children (May).
- Edinburgh Castle – The iconic feature of Edinburgh’s skyline, the castle looms over the city centre, offering both a fascinating museum within and an unrivalled view across the area.
- Holyrood Palace – The official royal residence in Scotland’s capital, the palace as it stands today was built in the 17th century, but still includes the original apartments where Mary Queen of Scots once lived.
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay: 31 December – Scotland celebrates New Year’s Eve like nowhere else, with a street party in Edinburgh’s city centre that draws thousands of visitors from all over the world.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
The hotel features Craig’s Restaurant, which provides an elegant yet relaxed dining experience, with contemporary décor and a welcoming atmosphere. The menu offers a mixture of modern European dishes with some more homely cooking, to ensure that there’s something for every palate – as well as a wide selection of wines to complement your meal.
The hotel’s bar is called the Boston Bean Company and provides a comfortable and informal environment that’s ideal for a quiet coffee in the morning, a quick bite to eat or a few drinks in the evening. The bar serves a good selection of beers, wines and spirits, as well as a menu of bar meals and snacks.
Breakfast: 7am – 10am (until 11am Saturday & Sunday)
Lunch: Bar meals served from 11am
Dinner: 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Features at a glance
- Modern hotel in central Edinburgh
- Excellent city centre location
- Ideal for Edinburgh shopping breaks
- 143 comfortable guest rooms
- Well located for Edinburgh Playhouse
- Easy access to public transport
- Elegant, but comfortable Craig’s Restaurant
- Boston Bean Company café-style bar
- 24 hour room service menu on offer
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
- Limited guest parking on site (£6 per 24 hours)
- Two large multi storey car parks very close by (around £15 per 24 hours)
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 2pm, check out by 12noon.
- The hotel offers wheelchair accessible rooms – please contact us for details and booking.
- Guide dogs are welcome at the hotel, but pet dogs are not permitted.
- To contact easy-breaks.com call 08430 55 44 33 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“Put simply, the Thistle Edinburgh couldn’t be more central. It could easily lay claim to being one of the best hotels for Edinburgh shopping breaks, but it’s also a great choice for visiting the city’s cultural attractions and it's conveniently located for theatre breaks too. The city’s festival season means summer is usually very busy, but look out for great deals during the rest of the year – perhaps for Christmas shopping.”