Exclusive Late Deal
Breakfast & Dinner
Dinner, Bed and Breakfast
Breakfast & Dinner
A packed lunch each day
Wine and Dine
A bottle of wine on the first evening
MacKay’s Hotel is a charming hotel in the beautiful village of Strathpeffer in the north of Scotland. With a superb setting amongst one of the UK’s most stunning landscapes, it’s an ideal hotel for breaks in the highlands and the perfect place for authentic Scottish holidays.
Strathpeffer was once a popular spa town, drawing many visitors to take the waters in the Victorian era. Today much of that past is on show, not least in the distinctive architecture of many of the buildings, including the hotel. The railway no longer reaches the village, but the refurbished station is now home to a fascinating museum, and while few visit the town for the waters, the original pump room is now a visitor attraction and Victorian-style sweet shop. Even the original Pavilion has found new life as an entertainment venue and café bar.
While there’s a lot to see and do around the village, many visit to explore the wider area. The nearby town of Dingwall is well worth a visit, while Inverness is around just half an hour’s drive from the hotel – and boasts a good range of shops, restaurants and local attractions. But the region’s true attraction is the scenery. The highlands of Scotland offer one of the most beautifully rugged landscapes in the UK, with dramatic mountains, stunning lochs and varied wildlife. Whether you’re exploring the area or you’re looking to get into the great outdoors for walking, cycling or fishing, MacKay’s Hotel provides the perfect place to start the day – and relax at the end of it all.
After a hearty meal in the restaurant, you can relax with a drink in the welcoming bar or take in some lively entertainment in the lounge, before retiring to the comfort of your room.
Where is MacKay’s Hotel?
The Square, Strathpeffer, Scotland, IV14 9DW
MacKay’s Hotel is in the centre of Strathpeffer, just off the main route through the village – the A834 – around 5 miles west of Dingwall, where you’ll find the nearest railway station. The closest airport is around 25 miles away, in Inverness.
What’s worth visiting in Strathpeffer?
- Highland Museum of Childhood – Housed in what was once the railway station, this museum is based around a huge collection of antique dolls, as well as exhibits featuring games, toys and costumes from down the years.
- Strathpeffer: January 23rd - 24th Janurary 2016 – Named as one of the 10 hardest mountain biking events in the world, this 24 hour endurance race sees riders (and teams) ride a challenging 11km trail for hours on end.
- Strathpeffer Pavilion – First opened in the late 19th century, this beautiful old hall was brought back to life in 2003 and is now a popular venue and café.
- The Black Isle – Not technically an island, but still a striking and beautiful place to explore, with several ruined castles, excellent museums, a wildlife park and a renowned brewery.
- Culloden – Situated to the east of Inverness, the village of Culloden was the site of a bloody battle between Bonnie Prince Charlie’s Jacobite Highlanders and the British, and today is home to a visitor centre that explores the day’s events.
Where is there to eat & drink at the hotel?
The hotel’s restaurant is a bright, open space with large French windows looking out onto the village square and surrounding landscape. The kitchen serves up comforting, hearty fare, with local produce offering a great, simple taste of Scotland.
The lounge bar offers a comfortable and welcoming area where you can relax with a pint of Scottish beer, a glass of wine or a dram of local whisky, while the entertainment lounge gets into swing nightly (during the spring and summer) with live music performances to raise the roof.
Breakfast: 8am – 9am (until 9.30am Saturday & Sunday)
Dinner: 6pm – 8pm
Features at a glance
- Homely Scottish hotel
- Set in Victorian Spa town
- Ideal for leisure breaks in the highlands
- Perfect for outdoor activities & hillwalking
- Restaurant offering classic Scottish cuisine
- Relaxed and informal lounge bar
- Entertainment lounge with regular music
- Small swimming pool
- Free guest parking
What else do I need to know?
- Check in after 3pm, check out by 10am.
- For family breaks, please get in touch for details and availability.
- Dogs are not permitted in the guest accommodation
- To contact easy-breaks.com call 08430 55 44 33 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“Strathpeffer is a fascinating place in the Highlands of Scotland. It was once a busy Victorian spa town – and it retains that tradition of hospitality, as well as the architecture of the period. Today, that past has been turned into a series of attractions, from the pump room to the railway station. Of course, one thing that hasn’t changed is the spectacular scenery of the highlands. So whether you’re visiting to explore the past or to get into the great outdoors, MacKay’s Hotel in the very centre of the town offers a good value base for your stay.”